Oct 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Hi anyone,
I have a strange problem with ToolkitScriptManager and UpdatePanel:
Dev-Environment: Win7 x64, VS2012 with AjaxControlToolkit 4
Target-Environment: Win2012 x64
Target-Framwork: .NET 4.0

SourceCode:
<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="Test2012_3._Default" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" Namespace="System.Web.UI" TagPrefix="asp" %>

<%@ Register assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" tagprefix="asp" %>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head runat="server">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
    <title></title>
</head>
<body>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <asp:ToolkitScriptManager ID="ToolkitScriptManager1" runat="server"></asp:ToolkitScriptManager>
        <asp:Timer ID="Timer1" runat="server" Interval="1000">
        </asp:Timer>
        <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server" ChildrenAsTriggers="False" UpdateMode="Conditional">
            <ContentTemplate>
                <asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
            </ContentTemplate>
            <Triggers>
                <asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger ControlID="Timer1" EventName="Tick"></asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger>
            </Triggers>
        </asp:UpdatePanel>
        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
        <asp:BalloonPopupExtender ID="TextBox1_BalloonPopupExtender" runat="server" BalloonPopupControlID="Panel1" CustomCssUrl="" Enabled="True" ExtenderControlID="" TargetControlID="TextBox1" DisplayOnFocus="True">
        </asp:BalloonPopupExtender>
        <asp:Panel ID="Panel1" runat="server">This is a little test</asp:Panel>   
    </form>
</body>
</html>
Code behind:
Public Class _Default
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

End Sub

Protected Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
        Label1.Text = Date.Now.ToLongTimeString
    End Sub
End Class
If I run this in my IDE to debug everything works fine. Label1 updates every second its content and you can see it in the browser window. If you click in TextBox1 a ballon with the content of Panel1 will shown. So far so good. But if I publish this website to the target machine the UpdatePanel does'nt update Label1 but the ballon will shown if you click in Textbox1 (so I think the AjaxControlToolkit works well).
I've done this tests: I dropped the Ballon-Extender (can't be used without ToolkitScriptManager) and use <asp:ScriptManager> instead <asp:ToolkitScriptManager> and publish that again. In that case the UpdatePanel updates Label1 as desired.
In my distress i published it to a Win2003 server with a working Framework 4.0. But the problem still remains...
Anyone have an idea or have a solution? I'm going crazy with that!!!

Thanks
Ralf
Jan 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with my timer not firing when using the ToolkitScriptManager under server2k8 hosting iis, but works fine local.
Jan 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM
bitmasked wrote:
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with my timer not firing when using the ToolkitScriptManager under server2k8 hosting iis, but works fine local.
Hello,
yes, it works now. I have published the project in debug mode. If you publish the project you get a dialog where you can change under settings the configuration from "Release" to "Debug". Don't ask me why it does'nt work with "Release" but after I changed it to "Debug" it worked fine. Hope this helps.

Ralf